Suggested readings on eliminating the effects of racism in schools
Institutionalized Racism & Education
- Disparities Demystified: Causes of the Racial Achievement Gap All Derive from Unequal Treatment by Pedro A. Noguera and Antwi Akom, The Nation, June 5, 2000
- Race Does Not Equal DNA: If Race is a Social Construct, What’s Up with DNA Ancestry Testing? by Joseph Graves, Teaching Tolerance, Summer 2015 | Toolkit from Teaching Tolerance
- Race as Biology is Fiction, Race as a Social Problem is Real: Anthropological and Historical Perspectives on the Social Construction of Race by Audrey Smedley and Brian Smedley, American Psychologist,January 2005
- Talking about Race, Learning about Racism: ‘The Application of’ Racial Identity Development Theory in the Classroomby Beverly Daniel Tatum, Harvard Educational Review. Spring 1992
Why conversations about race and achievement?
Questions for Chaperones to reflect on in preparation for the MSAN Student Conference:
- What do YOU expect to gain from this conference? What do you want your students to gain?
- Do you believe that progress is being made in the area of racial equity in public education?
- If you had the power to change one educational policy or practice what would it be?
- What are some constructive ways to talk about race in your school/district?
- What are some of the strategies that have been implemented in your school/district to combat racial inequality?